Friday, November 10, 2017

The 2016 Election, A Year Later: What have we learned, what do we do next as faith-based advocates for peace and justice?




After an inspiring week in Washington, DC, taking part in our annual Quakaer Lobby Day, I was looking forward to giving a presentation about it at the Friday Forum of Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace (icujp.org), my interfaith peace group. To my dismay, I learned that the church where we usually meet on Friday mornings was closed due to Veterans Day. We contacted the nearby Islamic Center of Southern California, one of our partner organizations, and they immediately offered us a meting space. I was thrilled to see a nice sized crowd of around 25 people gathered at the Islamic Center (a place I have visited many many times) to hear about the work of FCNL and how to become more effective advocates in the Trump era. Our Muslim hosts were extremely gracious.

Below is a slide presentation that I shared this morning, which I am happy to share with any other group interested in learning how to influence our elected officials. After my presentation, we had a rich discussion in which everyone took part:  Muslims, Catholics, Jews, Episcopalians, and people of conscience who faithfully attend our weekly gatherings. What a joy and blessing it is when people of diverse racial, ethnic and political backgrounds come together in a circle where everyone's voice is heard and respected!

I keenly felt the Holy Spirit at work during my entire presentation. It seemed providential that I was giving my talk at the Islamic Center since FNCL honored Keith Ellison, the first Muslim to be elected to the Senate, for his work on behalf of justice and peace. I know it meant a lot to our Muslim hosts that Quakers hold one of their beloved and respected leaders in such high regard. He told us a story about how Ellison was speaking at an LA event not long ago, and was heckled by a few who don't particularly like Muslims. Instead of ignoring them, as the event organizers wanted him to do, Ellison walked over to the hecklers and engaged them in dialogue. To me, this is a sign that he is a true peace maker. 

Since today is Veterans Day, I  felt led to hold in prayer veterans and soldiers currently serving our country, praying that they be treated with dignity and respect, and that wars be ended so that all our troops can come home. This prayer was well received since we had a few veterans in our midst, including a Muslim leader who was our host.

Members of ICUJP have been very involved in lobby visits, and so were many others present. It was gratifying to see many others sign up to take part in upcoming visits. I am hoping to expand our teams this year to include the entire LA area.

I wish that I could share all the many thoughtful comments made in the discussion after my presentation. Would that we had taped this very important session! 

Our concluding time of prayer felt very deep and spiritually centered as people lifted up people and concerns for us to hold in the Light. Rev Darrel Myers closed our meeting with a beautiful send-off prayer. 

Thank you, God, for this beautiful day in which we experienced what democracy looks and feels like. 













Our keynote speaker was Sister Simone Campbell, who spoke about how income inequality has grown exponentially since the Reagan tax cuts, and will grow even more if the Republican tax plan is passed.









No comments:

Post a Comment