Saturday, April 23, 2011

Golden Dove Award for Best Peace Film and Book

The idea of giving an award to the best pictures/animated feature promoting peace and justice came to me because of my role as an uncle. One of my duties as an uncle is to take my nieces and nephews to the movies--a task I don't mind in the slightest since I love animated features. Over the past year I noticed that several of the movies I was taken to by my nieces and nephews had a message that gladdened my heart as a Quaker peacemaker. Instead of showing the good guys vanquishing or killing the bad guys---the staple of Hollywood films--they showed enemies being turned into friends, and bad guys becoming good guys.

The features that most impressed me were "How to Tame Your Dragon," "Megamind," and "Despicable Me"--all of which earned what I called at first the "Quaker seal of approval."

The phrase "Quaker seal of approval" didn't seem very appealing, however. It sounded too much like the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" and reeked of oatmeal. Who'd want to see a film with such a dubious accolade?

Then it occurred to me to call my award "The Golden Dove" award and to involve the interfaith community in selecting the best films, documentaries, animated features and books. Once a year representatives of the religious community of LA  (and eventually the USA) could vote on the Golden Dove and we could have awards events, perhaps at USC and UCLA.

It seems to me that many films (and books) appear that deserve this kind of recognition. For example, the films "I am" by Tom Shadyak and "Of Men and Gods" are ideal candidates for the Golden Dove. And for books, "War is a Lie" by David Swanson is a strong contender. Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace is sponsoring a Peace and Justice Book Fair during the LA Times Book Festival (see icujp.org). Awarding a "Golden Dove" award for best peace book could be a feature of this event.

The "Golden Dove" award would involve an annual awards event, in which authors, producers, and actors would take part. In addition, we could apply for grants to produce educational material to use at churches, mosques, synagogue, schools etc. The possibilities for peace education are endless!

I shared this idea with Susan Stouffer, director of the Peace Center at USC, and she was very enthusiastic. I am currently floating the idea with others in the interfaith to see if it will fly. I have a sense that angel wings are a-flutter....

Stay tuned!

PS  If you like this idea and would like to run with it, please let me know. I don't need credit. I just want to see this happen. As Harry Truman once said, "There is no end to what you can accomplish if you don't seek credit for it."

1 comment:

  1. Ms Nilanjana Sanyal (INDIA)October 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM

    RESPECTED SIR,

    I deem it an honor and a privilege writing to you.My name is Ms Nilanjana Sanyal and I am writing to you all the way from Jamshedpur,INDIA.

    Let me introduce myself.I am someone who has undergone a powerful physical struggle which has made me differently abled and incapable of much travel.My struggle has made me a much passionate and conscientious writer who is determined to highlight the global social milieu as also speak of achieving an egalitarian world order free of any form of discrimination based on gender,class,caste,creed and sexual orientation.In brief,I believe in complete freedom of the individual and human dignity of the last man.Much of my writings pertain to poverty,inequality and peace and non-violence.

    My most recent achievement constituted a formal invitation to "World Peace Week 2011" (tele summit conducted from California) as a participant.This was convened to mark the auspicious occasion of "International Peace Day" 21st September and speakers included Dr.Arun Gandhi (grandson of Mahatma Gandhi),Deepak Chopra,Dr.Jane Goodall,Pulitzer Laureate Dr.Alice Walker and Dr.Emily Hine among others.

    I have so far published in that order:

    1) "Imagine...A Better World..." (non-fiction) blessed by Nobel Laureate Prof. Amartya Sen
    2) "Peace Loving Nations" (published from New Delhi and fore worded by
    Dr.Asghar Ali Engineer,eminent scholar and Alternate Nobel Laureate for vision and work,Stockholm,Sweden,Dec 2004)
    3) "An American Boy", my debut novel longlisted for the "Vodafone Crossword Book Awards 2011" one of India's most prestigious literary awards
    4) "The End of Inequality" published from leading global academic publishers, LAP LAMBERT,GERMANY
    5) "Sexual Revolution in India:A Myth or a Reality" published in 'Day after',a New
    Delhi-based international magazine.

    I have also been published by the Children's Book Trust,New Delhi and Femina online.

    The written word is more powerful than the sword and determines the progress of nations.If young educated individuals do not work for social change through either their writings or otherwise,who else will?

    I look forward to your support and to hearing from you soon!

    Sincerely,

    Ms Nilanjana Sanyal
    (Peace Activist;Creative Person;former Tech Awards nominee;Manthan Award South Asia 2008/2010/2011 nominee;"Women Writing,Lives Changing Certificate
    holder from and an Ambassador to Catherine of Siena Virtual College,OHIO in India)

    (Writing from Jamshedpur,INDIA)

    nilanjanasanyal@rocketmail.com

    (m) 0091-9234511397

    (p) 0091-0657-2442765 (preferable)

    You may write to

    Professors Aaron and Deborah Rose-Milavec,Joint Vice-Presidents,Catherine of Siena Virtual College,Ohio,United States

    moderator@fuse.net

    N.B.This Scholarship Certificate provides a safe space for women from all over the world to write fearlessly and passionately on every issue that such may consider of practical relevance to women worldwide,including violence in war,crimes against humanity,motherhood,mother and child health,religion and spirituality,etc.In the past,we've had participation from the Philippines,India (including myself),Africa and Islamic nations besides off course,the host nation,United States.Catherine College is a pioneer in gender-based justice education with offices in the US and the UK.

    ReplyDelete