Beginning Sunday, September 8, hundreds, perhaps thousands, and maybe even millions of people, will light a candle at 8:00 PM and let the whole world know we want peace for the people of Syria. We will continue to light candles throughout the week as Congress deliberates.
Place your candle in your window so your neighbors can see it. As you light your candle, send loving thoughts or pray for the people of Syria. If you have Syrian friends or neighbors, tell them you are praying for peace.
Invite your friends, family members, and neighbors to do likewise.
Imagine millions of households around the country, and the world, praying for peace in Syria and throughout the Middle East!
There are of course many other things that you can do in addition to lighting a candle.
- Attend a peace vigil.
- Call your Congressional Representative. (Many are still undecided.)
- Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.
Here are some links to sites that can help you contact our elected officials:
This is an historic moment in which we can make a difference and show there is a better way--a nonviolent way--to end conflict and bring peace to this troubled region.
- Let's bring all parties (including the Russians and Iranians) to the negotiating table. President Obama has said there is no military solution, only a political solution, to this conflict.
- If war crimes have been committed, let the matter come before the international court of justice.
- Provide humanitarian assistance, including gas masks, to the people of this region.