Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Say his name! In memorial of Anthony McClain, with hope for a new day

 


In Memory of Anthony McClain

Anthony, I say your name and it troubles me.

Your name is also mine. Same name,

Same God, same neighborhood,

Yet how different our lives became!

 

You died a young man, a father of two,

shot in the back by oh so polite police,

Running for your life, all your life,

Because of the color of your skin

And America’s original sin.

 

I am old and privileged and white

And I ride my electric bike

To the place where your precious blood

Spilled onto the parkway needlessly.

Because your death grieves me.

I go to this place as often as I’m able.

I’m saddened, yet I’m comforted to see

This place made lovely

by your friends and family.

Your picture with candles and flowers, like an icon.

Like a beacon,

Perennials planted where your blood flowed free

Proclaiming to all with eyes to see:

You were loved, you mattered, you are not forgotten utterly.

I want to say your name again: Anthony.

I feel somehow that we’re connected inextricably

By the one who calls us to do justice and love mercy,

And say his name, his precious name, gratefully.

 

Here in this sacred place, I say your name.

Anthony, Anthony!

And I whisper the name that brings us unity:

Hallowed be Thy name! Hallowed be Thy name!

May Thy Will be done till we’re all free!

 

The One Who Shall Not Be Named

 

I’m so glad he’s being evicted from my brain

After four long years, his memory and his name

Will gradually begin to fade

Like a bad dream, like a dying white-hot flame

Till only ash remains.

His name, his expensive name, will disappear

From public places, till no one cares.

 

He will be like the rich man in the story

Who strutted past the poor man

Sick and starving at his gate,

And felt no pity.

The rich man died without a name.

The poor man’s name is written

In the book of life in endless glory. 

Say his name, proclaim his name!

Lazarus, Lazarus! Be with us,

Join with us. A new day is ahead of us!


See "Rich Man and Lazarus," Luke 16: 14-31. https://laquaker.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-story-of-lazarus-and-rich-guy-whats.html

 




No comments:

Post a Comment