Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Being joyful as a Methodist Quaker


First, I am still super happy to be part of Pasadena's First United Methodist Church. I love the kindness and friendliness of this church--which is a reflection of their deep love for Christ. Jill and I feel totally respected and loved by the Methodists. Jill has spoken about her work several times, we had our annual MHCH celebration at this church, and I just gave a talk at their adult study regarding "Christian Nationalism," which was well received. We have weekly potlucks at our home for which a delightful little band of Methodists show up and watch the series "The Chosen" about Jesus and his disciples. This loving gathering become a highpoint of our week. 

I am glad to be part of the Quaker community because this is where I can practice my calling as a peacemaker. What makes Quakers special to me is that we have a tool called "clearness committees" for resolving conflict and reconciling. We meet with the person we're having conflicts with along with other Friends, have a time of worship, and then listen deeply and compassionately to each other. Every time I've had a clearness committee, it has brought healing and reconciliation. But both parties need to choose to use this tool. If we don't, things don't usually end well, in my experience. So I pray for clearness and reconciliation almost every day.

What brings me joy is that (in the words of Simeon) I have "seen the Savior that God prepared for all the world to see, a light to enlighten the nations, and God's people, Israel." 

Once you've seen Christ's face, and experience the peace of Christ, you can be joyful even when under attack. You see the Light in those who attack you, and pray for them and for reconciliation. That's the way of Christ and of true Quakers. 

During my daily devotions I ran across this passage from Carlo Carretto's The God Who Comes that spoke to my condition. 

"How baffling you are, oh Church, and yet how I love you!
How you have made me suffer, and yet how much I owe you!
I should like to see you destroyed, and yet I need your presence.
You have given me so much scandal and yet you have made me understand sanctity.
I have seen nothing in the world more devoted to obscurity, more compromised, more false, and I have touched nothing more pure, more generous, more beautiful. How often I have wanted to shut the doors of my soul in your face, and how often I have prayed to die in the safety of your arms
No, I cannot free myself from you, because I am you, though not completely.
And where should I go?"

I go to my Quaker meeting because most Quakers are kind and loving people and the few who aren't need prayer, just as I do. This Sunday my dear friend Michelle and I are leading an adult study on our meeting's racial justice minute and the Black History Parade. Michelle has been a champion of racial justice for most of her life (she's African American) and I've known her for over twenty years. I really love her prophetic spirit, his brilliant legal mind, and her mac and cheese (our favorite comfort food). 

I also plan to go to my Methodist church because I feel called to worship and honor the living Christ who enables me to be joyful in the midst of trials and tribulations. The Methodists give me the spiritual and emotional support I need to be a good Quaker and do my work as an advocate for justice and peace.....truly I'm blessed to be a Methodist Quaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment