Friday, May 24, 2024

"Nothing can separate us..." New book on my cancer journey with my wife Kathleen Ross


This is a special memorial day for me. Fifteen years ago, on May 24, 2009, my wife Kathleen Ross died of cancer after an eleven-month cancer journey we took together. We had a wonderful marriage, and the last eleven months were beautiful as well as painful. During this time we grew closest to each other, to our family and friends, and to God. Hence the title of this book I am working on: "Nothing Can Separate Us," which is taken from Paul's letter to Romans, 8:34..

This book is based on a caringbridge blog we wrote for friends and family.  I started writing this book and editing this book on May 1, the first day of the sabbatical that Jill and taking--a much needed break from our housing justice work.  

A friend asked me how I am feeling today and my  response was I feel blessed that I had Kathleen in my life for twenty years. She was my soul mate and best friend as well as my wife. She taught how to live, love and face life-threatening illness and death as a Christians. I am excited about sharing her witness with others and hopefully inspire and encourage you in your life journey. All of will face death at some point in our lives, and most of us will accompany someone facing death. My hope is that this book will help prepare us to see death and illness not only as an inevitability but also as opportunity to deepen our relationship with God and those we love.

This is a draft of the opening to this book. It will include not only my cancer journey with my wife Kathleen, but also with my current wife Jill, who had a similar kind of cancer (lymphoma) but is now cancer-free, thanks be to God and good medical treatment.

 I'll probably share passages from it during the course of the summer. Please feel free to share your thoughts about what I have written, particularly if you or a loved one has faced or is facing cancer. 


“Nothing Can Separate Us”

A Cancer Journey of Love and Faith

By Dr. Anthony Manousos and Rev. Kathleen Ross

 

I've told you this so that my peace will be with you. In the world you'll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world. — John 16:33.

 

I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:34- 39.

 

Live your life as if everything that happens to you is what you prayed for.—Gene Hoffman, Quaker peace activist.

 

I started this book when my wife Kathleen Ross and I took a cancer journey together from June of 2008 until the summer of 2009, when she passed away at the City of Hope. It describes how we coped with the challenges of cancer, how we grew spiritually, and how we faced death and its aftermath together in the spirit of love and faith. I hope that this book will help others to experience some of the amazing grace and love that we were blessed with during our 20 years of marriage and especially during the final year when we came closest to each other, to God and to our dear friends and family. I have also added a chapter about the grieving process and discovering a new life with my amazing new wife, Jill Shook. We also went on a cancer journey!

Kathleen was a Methodist pastor for 26 years, and I am a Quaker educator, writer, and peace activist. While deeply rooted in Christianity, we were active in the interfaith community and had many close friends from various faith traditions—Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Bahai, Hindu, Sikh, etc.—who gave us love and support during our cancer journey. Our story show how many people of faith have a heart-felt realization that we are all one family, and act accordingly.

This book consists of writings that Kathleen and I published in our caringbridge blogKathleen’s private journal, and my unpublished writings. The opening section by Kathleen was published in the December [2008] issue of Circuit West, the now defunct Methodist newspaper.

During our cancer journey, we learned a lot that I’d like to share before you plunge into our story.

 

It is important to find an oncologist you can trust and relate to. Competence is essential, but so is having a doctor who will listen and take your concerns seriously. Everyone has different needs, depending on age and other factors. We were blessed to have an oncologist who was a perfect fit for us: he was upbeat and gave us the emotional support we needed, along with excellent treatment. He listened, he respected us, and he even invited us to his home for dinner since he had come to regard my wife as his pastor. On the other hand, some doctors are competent but insensitive. A friend of mine is in his 80s and has a slow-growing form of cancer that could kill him in five years. His oncologist is giving him aggressive treatment that is severely affecting the quality of his life, leaving him weak and depressed.  My friend pushed back and told his doctor. “At my age, I can expect to live only another 9 more years. I have only a 30% chance of reaching my 90th birthday. So why should I take treatment that makes me miserable just to prolong my life by a couple of years? Why not give me a reduced dose so I can enjoy my life, even if it’s a little shorter as a result? ” His doctor was not sympathetic to this argument and insisted on the more aggressive treatment. It is important to find a doctor who will treat the whole person, not just the disease. Samuel H. Golter, one of City of Hope's early leaders, coined the phrase, “There is no profit in curing the body if, in the process, we destroy the soul.” Those words became City of Hope's credo. It should be the creed of every doctor.

 

Find a supportive community, whether religious or a secular support group like the


Wellness Center. In an article entitled “What Churches Offer That Nones [non-church-goers) Long For” (NY Times, June 23,2024), Jessica Gross stressed the importance of having a support community like a church when going through a life crisis, such as a life-threatening disease. She wrote:

 

 “After months of reading about this massive change [the shift away from religion in the US], and having had quite a few deep and very moving conversations with some of the over 7,000 readers who responded to my initial call-out about becoming less religious over time, the one aspect of religion in America that I unquestionably see as an overall positive for society is the ready-made supportive community that churchgoers can access…..I asked every sociologist I interviewed whether communities created around secular activities outside of houses of worship could give the same level of wraparound support that churches, temples and mosques are able to offer. Nearly across the board, the answer was no.”

 

Gross believes that non-religious support groups like churches may be created in the future, but it hasn’t happened yet. What sustained us during our cancer journey was the loving support we received from our religious communities, the Quakers and the Methodists.

 

Explore complimentary alternative medical practices, such as exercise, meditation, message, healthy food, “laughter yoga.”  These are primarily to enhance the quality of life, strengthen the immune system and facilitate a cure. They aren’t “magic bullets” or a substitute for sound medical treatment. I particularly want to recommend a book by Dr. Richard Weeder, A Key to Cancer.

 

Find a cancer survivor/thriver or caregiver you can open up to and who will listen sympathetically. During our cancer journey, I learned that many people who ask you “how are you doing” aren’t really interested in an answer. They’re just being polite. Others (often people who’ve been through a similar experience) truly care and are willing to take time to hear your response. They don’t make assumptions like, “This must be so painful for you,” when what you really want to share is, “This has been a good day.” Deep, compassionate listening is something we all need, especially when we are facing a life crisis like cancer either as a patient or as a caregiver.

 

Find a spouse or family member or friend who you can count on to accompany you. Quaker cancer surviver/thriver Rolene Otero told me:  “Have at least three or four friends to talk to about how you are feeling. Someone who comforts you when you are terrified, someone who tells you to get off your buff and start exercising when you are lazy. It is helpful to have someone who has been through it. They will listen for much longer periods than most people will.”

 

Explore spiritual healing. We spent considerable time of learning about and experimenting with spiritual healing practices and came away with more questions than answers. The big question is: What does it mean to be healed spiritually? Is it the same as a physical cure? Is a miraculous cure necessary to confirm that God is good and prayer efficacious? If one isn’t miraculously cured, does it mean that one’s faith is weak, or that God is indifferent or impotent? Scientific studies do not confirm physical cures but show that people who are prayed for are more likely to experience a sense of well-being.

It may be impossible to prove or disprove the efficacy of prayer using the scientific method since it requires a “double blind” approach and assumes that God works predicably, just like any other force of nature. God is by definition supernatural and God’s ways may not be measurable by science. [1]

Another approach is to look at the consummate spiritual healer, Jesus. Why did Jesus cure people? What about the people he didn’t cure? These are deep questions worth pondering and there are no easy answers. Jesus was not a miracle worker showing off his powers. He was seeking to lead people into a deeper relationship with God, and with each other, by showing that God can perform miracles. What matters most, however, is not the physical healing, but the spiritual awakening. Jesus often told those who were healed: “Your faith has made you well/whole” (Mark 5:34, Mark 10:52, Luke 17:19, Luke 18:42, Matthew 9:22).

I like the story of the ten lepers that Jesus cured (Luke 17:11-19). Nine were cured physically, but only one (the one who expressed gratitude) was “made whole” and healed spiritually. We are told that he was a Samaritan, a “foreigner,” but his faith, according to Jesus, was greater than that of Jesus’ co-religionists.

The question remains. Does prayer “work”? Kathleen and I were prayed for continually, but Kathleen still died. Does that mean that prayers were in vain? That was not Kathleen’s view. She believed in the power of prayer, and practiced intercessory prayer continually, but she realized that God’s answer to prayer was not always what we expected. When Kathleen took part in a Methodist-sponsored workshop on spiritual healing, she expressed her concern about this pastor because:

 

“She seemed to equate successful miraculous ‘cures’ as the most important sign of God’s kingdom among believers. I felt concerned for her emphasis on expecting miraculous healing in her church every week. If miraculous healing (“cure”) doesn’t happen, does that mean that God’s kingdom isn’t present? I was concerned that she might be led to connect her ability to heal with whether or not she is “successful” in living out God’s calling in her life. Faith is important, but it doesn’t require signs and wonders to enter into authentic faith.”

 

What we learned from our cancer journey is that prayers brought spiritual healing to our souls and helped us to live wholeheartedly in God’s beloved community here on earth in anticipation of what it’s like in heaven. We believe that what happens to us here in this lifetime is a preparation for the life to come.

Would we have liked a physical cure? Of course. But what we received from God was something even more precious, as Kathleen explained when she reflected on Simon Tugwell’s book on Prayer:

 

“…We should listen attentively to what St Paul says about the ‘weakness of God’ (1 Cor. 1:25)…If we keep clamoring for things we want from God, we may find ourselves disappointed, because we have forgotten the weakness of God and what we may call the poverty of God. We had thought of God as the disposer of all the good things we could possibly desire, but in a very real sense, God has nothing to give at all except himself.”

 

This passage brought many tears to my eyes as I reflected how like God my father Jim Ross and my husband Anthony have been to me. When I was young, my father was the dispenser of many good things—home, food, education, travel. But now, in my time of weakness, the only thing my father and my husband have to give is the most precious thing of all, themselves, their presence, their calls, their hugs, and holding my hand, and I weep for tenderness at this precious gift, themselves. And it is more than enough for me right now!”

 

A Journey, Not a Battle: We found it helpful to think of cancer as a journey, not a battle. In a battle, we grit our teeth and fight our enemy, using whatever means necessary, and this can be exhausting when the “enemy” is inside of us. Another way to think of cancer is that it is an uninvited guest who has taken residence in our body, has something to teach us and then hopefully will go away

.

It is important to be an “active patient” and learn as much as you can about your cancer. Ask questions until you are satisfied with answers. When we went to our cancer doctor, we wrote out questions in advance and made sure that all our questions were answered to our satisfaction. Because my wife sometimes had brain fog because of her treatment, I accompanied her to make sure our questions were answered adequately.

 

Enjoy the experience as much as you can and see it as an opportunity for spiritual and emotional growth. We spent time with friends, watched movies, went to plays and concerts, and even practiced “laughter yoga.” Laughter can be curative, as Norman Cousins discovered:

 

Cousins was convinced that emotions played a powerful and overlooked role in human health and disease — a belief rooted in experience. In 1964, Cousins was diagnosed with a painful and debilitating disorder. Conventional medicine had little to offer, so he prescribed his own therapy: liberal doses of vitamin C and laughter. For the latter, Cousins relied on Marx Brothers films and reruns of TV’s Candid Camera, among other movies and shows. His doctors were skeptical, but the patient laughed his way to a successful recovery.[2]

 

Even if this approach hadn’t led to a recovery, wouldn’t it have been better to “die laughing” than to die miserably?

We had the luxury of being able to devote ourselves full-time to our healing journey. Not everyone has this luxury, but whatever time you have to “enjoy the ride,” take advantage of it.

Mary Oliver has a wonderful poem called a “Summer Day” in which she writes:

 

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields

which is what I have been doing all day.

Tell me, what else should I have done?

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

With your one wild and precious life?

 

 

Cultivate a positive attitude. Read uplifting books and watch feel-good movies. Do whatever brings you joy and peace. Romans 5:3 says, "We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope".

 

Give yourself permission to grieve, be angry, be depressed. These feelings are totally legitimate. The Buddha said the First Noble Truth is that “life is suffering.” We can try to escape from it but the more we try, the more intense the suffering becomes. We were blessed to have friends and a cancer support group that listened when we needed to express our frustrations, disappointments, and fears. We also took time for silent reflection that helped us to see that when painful feelings arise, they inevitably subside. As the old hymn says, “Trouble don’t last always.” If you fight negative feelings, they can intensify. If you accept them, and especially if you share these feelings with God, they go away, or are transformed. The Psalmist began a psalm in the depths of despair: “God, why have you forsaken me?” (Psalm 22) After sharing his suffering with God, he concludes that God does indeed listen:

 

For God has not despised or abhorred
    the affliction of the afflicted,
and he has not hidden his face from him,
    but has heard, when he cried to him.

 

Being heard deeply and compassionately is what brings peace to our souls, which is what we all long for. Having felt heard by his Creator, the Psalmist ends by praising God publicly, as we did repeatedly in our cancer blog. It is significant that Jesus quoted this psalm when he was dying in agony on the cross, feeling abandoned and rejected, yet knowing that he was being faithful to God. He fulfilled God’s purpose for his life. He showed us the way of love and reconciled us and God. And he knew that death was not the end of the story.

 

Find your purpose. What is God, or your heart, calling you to do to you’re your cancer experience meaningful? What unfinished work are you being led to do so you can feel your life is complete. Rolene Otero wrote: "Sit with death every once in a while as a touch stone. I asked myself if I knew I was going to be dead in a year, would I still be doing whatever I was doing?"

During difficult times, I often take to heart these words by the apostle Paul: “We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose” (Roman 8:28).

 

Hope. As Christians, Kathleen and I did not believe that death has the final word. Years before her cancer journey Kathleen had prepared herself emotionally and spiritually for the inevitability of death through her hope in the resurrection and the life to come. In her final Easter sermon, delivered thirteen months before her death, she uttered these powerful words:

 

“I don't want to die a natural death, like a plant. Just fade, whither, and flop over. I don't want that. I want to face death with courage, boldness, and hope, because I know that though I die, I will live, because of the victory given to me through my Lord Jesus Christ.”

 

This was Kathleen’s final Easter message to her flock and to the world. When put to the test, she passed with flying colors! I feel that Kathleen taught me how to live as Christian, face life-threatening illness as a Christian, and die as a Christian, with faith, hope and compassion.

 

The Interfaith Community. For some, it is enough to have the support of one’s religious community. But we also found comfort and support from people of diverse faiths. One of the lessons we learned during our journey is that we need people of other faiths on many levels. For example, our cancer doctors were from different faith communities: Christian, Jewish and Muslim. Our friends from different faith traditions gave us the emotional and spiritual support we needed because they cared about us and because the core belief/practice of every authentic religion is love and compassion. The more we connect with the human family, God’s family, the more we feel the infinite love of our Creator which is the source of happiness and healing. That’s why I called this book “nothing can separate us” from God’s love and peace, not even cancer and death.




No comments:

Post a Comment