Friday, April 3, 2015

The Arrest and Resurrection of Jesus: Mini-dramas


The Arrest of Jesus

“Those that Live by the Sword Die by the Sword


Peter, John, Jesus, Judas, two Roman soldiers, and a priest. Jesus is walking ahead of Peter and John, who talk among themselves.
Peter: I don’t have a good feeling about this night walk in the Garden. It’s dark and creepy.
John: He’s been acting very strange. First, telling us this was his last meal and then saying one of us is going to betray him. Then praying in the garden while we were trying to sleep. 
Peter: I don’t get why we are wandering around at night. It’s like we’re asking for trouble.
John: I hope he knows what he’s doing.
Peter: At least he said I could carry a sword.
John: A lot of good that will do against a squadron of Roman soldiers!
Jesus: Please, be quiet. Listen. They’re coming.
Judas arrives with three Roman soldiers. He walks over to Jesus and kisses him.
Judas: Rabbi, how good to see you!
Jesus: Is this how you betray me, with a kiss?
The soldiers advance and arrest Jesus. The priest smiles.
Roman guard: Jesus of Nazareth, you’re under arrest.
Peter strikes the guard with a sword and cuts off his ear.
Jesus: Peter, stop. Those who live by the sword die by the sword.
Jesus reaches down to the wounded soldier, who is cringing in pain. He restores the soldier’s ear.
Peter drops his sword, amazed. The soldier gets up and stands with his fellow soldier.
Jesus turns to the priest.
“Why do you come with swords and clubs and treat me like a criminal?? I was with you every day in the Temple and you didn’t arrest me. But this is your time, and darkness is in control.”
The priest motions to the soldiers, who beat Jesus and drag him off.


Jesus Returns from the Dead: The First Evangelists


Peter, John, Mary Magdalene, Mother Mary (mother of Jesus), Joanna, James, and Jesus.
Peter and John are in the Upper Room, which is dark and gloomy. Only one candle is lit. They seem nervous and afraid.
Peter: I feel terrible.
John: I know how you feel.
Peter:  He’s dead and he’s not coming back. I just can’t believe it.
John:  I’ll never forget what he said to me on the cross: “John, this is your mother. Mary, this is your son.”
Peter: At least you were there…..
John walks over and puts his hand on Peter’s shoulder.
Knock on the door.
John, nervous: Who could that be? Roman soldiers? Did someone tell them we were here?
Peter: No, no. It’s probably just the women coming back from the tomb. They are crazy with grief.
Peter opens the door and sees Mary Magdalene, Mary Mother of Jesus and Joanna.
Peter: How did it go at his tomb?
Mary Mag: He’s alive!
Peter: Who’s alive?
Mother Mary: Jesus!
Peter: That’s crazy talk. Your son is dead.
Joanna: No, it’s true what Mother Mary says. The tomb is empty and an angel told us that Jesus was raised from the dead.
Mary Mag: I saw him.  I thought he was the gardener, but it was him. And he had a message for us.
Peter: Calm down! You women are just overwrought. Jesus is dead. I held his body. It was stone cold.
Mother Mary, with great certainty: I tell you the tomb is empty. God has fulfilled His promise. Go see for yourself.
Peter rushes out the door.
John turns to Mother Mary.
John: I am so sorry that your son had to die.
Mother Mary: He’s not dead. He’s alive.
John: That’s true, in a sense. He will always be alive in our hearts.
Mother Mary: Not just in our hearts. I saw him, just as real as you and me.
John puts his arm around Mary to console her.
Knock on the door.
John: Who’s there?
James: It’s me, James.
John opens it cautiously.
John: James, my brother. How are you? How did your trip to Emaeus go?
James: You won’t believe what happened. We were walking to Emaeus and this guy walks along with us and starts talking about Jesus and the Bible and suddenly we realize it’s him.
John: Who?
James: Jesus!
Mary Mag: You saw him, too!
James: Yes, he even broke bread and ate with us!
Knock on the door.
John, with a nervous smile: Maybe it’s Jesus knocking?
Opens the door and sees Peter.
Peter, excited: It’s true. The tomb is empty!
John: But how can that be? Who could have rolled away the stone? It was huge!
Everyone is silent for a moment.
Jesus appears behind them.
Jesus: Peace be unto you all!
Peter: It’s you, you’re alive!
Jesus: Why are you so frightened? Why do you doubt? Look and my hands and my feet and see who I am! Touch me and find out for yourselves. Ghosts don’t have flesh and bones as you see I have.”
They surround Jesus and touch him.
Jesus: Everything that happened to me was foretold by the prophets. Go and tell people the good news. Go out and make disciples. Teach them to do everything I have told them. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.



1 comment:

  1. 'Those that live by the sword die by the sword'. Wise words.

    I would be glad to see some videos of these skits as well - I'm sure the kids enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete