Friday, September 11, 2020

Celebrating Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace (ICUJP)

ICUJP was founded as an interfaith peace and justice group after 9/11 and is celebrating its 19th year today at 5:00 pm with an inspiring Zoom event (see https://laquaker.blogspot.com/2020/09/celebrate-2020-george-f-regas.html). I have been a proud member of ICUJP for over 15 years and have served on the board for much of that time. I consider ICUJP to be my spiritual home, and all of you are my spiritual family.  You are some of the most committed social justice and peace advocates I have ever known. Each week I am inspired, challenged, and energized not only by excellent speakers but also by your probing questions and thoughtful responses. I want to share a few cherished memories: first, I will never forget getting arrested with George Regas, intrepid rector emeritus of All Saints, Pasadena; Shakeel Syed, former executive director of the Islamic Shura Council of So Cal (and a groomsman at my wedding); Ralph Fertig, former freedom rider and colleague of MLK; Friar Tom, a flamboyant Catholic priest; Father Chris Ponnett of Pax Christi, and a man named Jon Krampner who I  found out had written the definitive history of peanut butter. Spending the afternoon in jail with this fascinating crowd of witnesses was a real privilege and joy. I am also grateful for being part of NCAT’s anti-torture campaign, and for demonstrating in the Guantanamo protest each year. (Led by our friend, the peanut butter maven.) A Cuban Quaker told us that she’d seen pictures of Los Angeles protesters in orange jump suits protesting the horrific conditions at Guantanamo, and she was overjoyed when I said, “That would be me!” I cherish the memory of going with Sister Pat Krommer to visit a Muslim unjustly incarcerated at Terminal Island and feel privileged to be part of a group that stands up for the rights of political prisoners. Our ICUJP bus trip to Adelanto led to my becoming a regular visitor as well as an advocate for immigrants in detention. Finally, I am grateful for the countless lobby visits we have done together along with our many vigils. I dearly miss our bagels and coffee, but I am happy that we continue to let our light shine in spite of the pandemic. During times of darkness, we at ICUJP have been a unwavering beacon of light. Thank God that light of justice and peace, truth and love, can never be extinguished! 

No comments:

Post a Comment